WEAR | Washi Dress

I finally made a Washi Dress!  I think this dress has been on my "Selfish Sewing" list longer than anything else.  Rae's blog is one of the first I discovered when I started sewing (along with Dana and Caroline) and I've loved this dress since the pattern was released.  Of course, at that time, I hadn't really ventured much into apparel sewing for myself besides the occasional elastic waist skirt, so it seemed a little bit beyond my skill set.


 This dress took me about one nap time and one after bed time sewing session to complete.  The pattern was easy to follow and straightforward.  And pockets for the win.  Always.


I've had this fabric in my stash for a while and I don't think it's available any longer.  I actually think I bought it with the intention of making a Washi, but for some reason only had 2 yards of it.  The pattern calls for 2.5, preferably 3 for my size, so this definitely took some creative cutting.  I had a mild panic attack when I realized that I had somehow missed cutting the back neckline facing and didn't know if I had a scrap big enough for it (I did!).  


 I made the pattern exactly as written with no modifications.  I considered not cutting out the little U because I was worried it would be lower cut than I like to wear.  I shared the dress on Instagram when I was working on it and the consensus was that it looked fine, so thanks ladies!  I do think that next time I'll omit the U or do just a little slit instead.  I did take a few inches off the hem when I was done.  I'm a shorty!  

ts

 I definitely have plans for more of these and will be purchasing the expansion pack soon.  I adore the peter pan collar!


 This was also my first time using elastic thread.  Rae gives clear instructions on how to do this and after a few test stitches, I was good to go!


 I love that this fabric looks a little fallish and I think this will adorable styled with boots and a boyfriend cardigan if the weather ever cools off a little!  It also reminds me of our time spent in New Mexico last year and I love that!  I can see myself wearing this on a weekend trip to Santa Fe!


And of course, Gabe approves!