I finally made a Washi Dress! I think this dress has been on my "Selfish Sewing" list longer than anything else. Rae's blog is one of the first I discovered when I started sewing (along with Dana and Caroline) and I've loved this dress since the pattern was released. Of course, at that time, I hadn't really ventured much into apparel sewing for myself besides the occasional elastic waist skirt, so it seemed a little bit beyond my skill set.
I've had this fabric in my stash for a while and I don't think it's available any longer. I actually think I bought it with the intention of making a Washi, but for some reason only had 2 yards of it. The pattern calls for 2.5, preferably 3 for my size, so this definitely took some creative cutting. I had a mild panic attack when I realized that I had somehow missed cutting the back neckline facing and didn't know if I had a scrap big enough for it (I did!).
I made the pattern exactly as written with no modifications. I considered not cutting out the little U because I was worried it would be lower cut than I like to wear. I shared the dress on Instagram when I was working on it and the consensus was that it looked fine, so thanks ladies! I do think that next time I'll omit the U or do just a little slit instead. I did take a few inches off the hem when I was done. I'm a shorty!
And of course, Gabe approves!